Thread: Firm Overtime Policy

CPAFMA Member

Firm Overtime Policy

Dear All,

The busy seasons require overtime. Does your firm have an overtime policy in place specifically for the busy season? If so, can you share with me? GHJ is a large firm in Westwood and consists of 5 non-exempt EA's responsible for partners, principles and senior managers.

During and after busy season:
    1) How much OT is necessary prior to getting approval, five hours per week?
    2) Who is responsible to approve the overtime, Administrator or Partner requesting the overtime? Is there a special form that needs to be filled out and signed prior to the overtime? When does this form of approval needs to take place, at the end of the week once a certain amount of overtime hours has taken place or prior to the overtime on the same day?
    3) Do you have certain billing hours for the EA's to meet?

Should you have any other input in regards to the overtime policy for your firm, it is appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Viviane

CPAFMA Member
    We have no formal approval policy for admin hours; they stay if they need to and go home if they don't. They also have no billable hour requirements.

CPAFMA Member
    Thank you Kris for your response. How big is your firm and how many non-exempt employees do you have? Thanks.

CPAFMA Member
    Our policy is that all tax season overtime doesn't need to have manager approval, but out of tax season does. We are a firm of about 90 employees, with 7 admins who are paid for any overtime and the office manager is the one who has to approve overtime before it is incurred. No form is required, but a department manager usually asked if the admin can work overtime via email. This usually only happens in the tax department, as a deadline approaches.

CPAFMA Member
    We have 5 admin staff and 34 exempt accounting ....

Overtime policy

We are a small firm, 5 partners, 8 staff and 2 admin including myself. During tax season OT is expected, at least 10 hours a week for everyone except the receptionist. After tax season our staff is expected to know when OT is needed and they keep me and the partner in charge posted of their needs. I wouldn't call it a request though. I do monitor the time and if there is unexpected OT I follow up, but that's really not the norm.

We are a firm of about 90 people, 11 of which are support staff. Our professional staff salaries are based on working a standard amount of overtime during busy season (around 215 hours). Their billing hours are also monitored throughout the year.

The administrative staff is allowed OT during busy season based on necessity. Department admins OT is managed by the department head and firm admins time in monitored between the Firm Administrator and the Controller. All admin OT is paid at 1.5 times the regular rate and is typically unwarranted after 4/15. Admin staff does not have billable hour requirements.