Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chapter meeting - low attendance

CPAFMA Member
    I'm the VP of the Minnesota Chapter. We meet monthly - although we do take a few months off due to other events (Firm Administrator appreciation breakfast by our local society, summer boat cruise with our chapter, and a holiday breakfast). Our agenda is as follows:
    7:30 - 8:00 Networking
    8:00 - 8:30 Chapter Business
    8:30 - 9:30 Speaker/Roundtable

We typically have about 10 people in attendance, and then usually 1-2 individuals that call in. Attendance has been steady for the past couple of years. Attendees are usually within the Minneapolis/St. Paul suburbs. We are considering options for better using video technology so attendees can attend remotely beyond just the call in. I'd recommend looking at shorter meetings... I know everyone struggles to take time away from the office.

If you ever want to chat and brainstorm ideas, I'd love that. Feel free to email me at jana.cinnamon@aemcpas.com. Thanks!

CPAFMA Member
    Here are the results of the survey.

22% prefer to have meetings in one location in NW suburbs
    22% prefer to have one meeting downtown Chicago, remainder in NW suburbs
    56% no preference

Length of meeting
    35% prefer 8:30am - 2:30pm with breakfast & lunch
    24% prefer to shorten it to a half day with breakfast
    18% want option to view as a webinar
    6% prefer meeting was only 2 hours in morning
    18% had no preference

Topics they want to hear about
    76% human resources
    53% employment law
    42% mergers and acquisitions
    47% culture diversity
    35% software vendor - CCH
    18% software vendor - Thomson Reuters
    29% software vendor - QuickBooks
    47% partner insights
    88% processes - how to improve
    41% how to on Microsoft products

Other ideas
    - get members to submit round table questions in advance to be addressed at meeting
    - location does not allow for them to attend
    - would like option for web conference and conference call
    - it's hard to attend meetings, would like summary of topics discussed after meeting

CPAFMA Member
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I will have our secretary double check the emails she has on our distribution list. It should include all members.

CPAFMA Member
    Kim and I email occasionally. My email is: mcercone@krdcpas.com
    Thanks!

Wow, that's a great list! We usually get very similar feedback when we poll our members. You might try alternating meeting time/length to see how that works. We have many that travel 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to our meetings so we always want to make sure they get the most for their travel time, so a 1-2 hour meeting doesn't always seem worth it. We also move our meetings around to different locations in the state to try to accommodate more members. We usually have the same 8-12 at each meeting, but helping them not always have to travel so far makes the meetings where they do a little more palpable.

My best advice is to keep trying. And keep trying different things to see what works best. And don't get discouraged as long as people are coming. I think we always want more people to come, so I try to remind myself that the chapter is there to support the members. Keep on keeping on.

And please let me know how we can help.